Wantirna Primary School is a Tribes Learning Community. This approach to well-being complements our CARE values and supports a safe and caring environment in which students achieve their personal best. We believe that by creating a positive school culture we are providing the basis for students’ social, emotional and academic success.
Students achieve because they:
- feel included and appreciated by peers and teachers
- are respected for their different abilities, cultures, gender, interests and dreams
- are actively involved in their own learning
- have positive expectations from others that they will succeed.
The clear purpose of the Tribes process is to assure the healthy development of every child so that each one has the knowledge, skills and resiliency to be successful in a rapidly changing world.
Tribes is a step-by-step process to achieve specific learning goals. Four agreements are honored:
- attentive listening
- appreciation/no put downs
- mutual respect, and
- the right to pass
Students learn a set of collaborative skills so they can work well together in long-term groups (tribes). The focus is on how to:
- help each other work on tasks
- set goals and solve problems
- monitor and assess progress
- celebrate achievements.
The learning of curriculum and self-responsible behavior is assured because teachers utilize methods based upon brain-compatible learning, multiple intelligences, cooperative learning and social development research. The staff at Wantirna Primary School also work together in supportive groups to model the school values and the Tribes agreements.